Brazil Optical Eyewear Market Overview of 2012
Global market meltdown holds back sales rise in 2012
There was clearly a pokey-down in the expansion of sales from the Brazil optical eyewear market in 2012 due to the world credit crunch. In the spectacles sector, there was very secure growth in 2010 driven from the entry of recent brands and products onto the market industry, but there is a huge slow-down in 2010 and 2011. Compared, contact lenses saw more moderate rise in sales in 2010 and 2011, because they still have a low penetration rate among Brazilian consumers, which increased only slightly through the review period.
Vision-related problems progressively more widespread among Brazilian women
Research by the Penido Burnier Institute in 2011 indicated that visual problems within Brazil’s adult population were significantly more widespread among women than men. The true secret factors causing this greater incidence of visual problems among women included hormonal fluctuations in connection with menstrual cycles, the increased usage of computers and contact lenses, and also the greater stress gone through by women working “double shifts”. Manufacturers of spectacles have advantage of this by placing greater focus on fashion design and marketing after they introduce new models into the market.
Competition stronger in spectacles market when compared to contact lenses
The competitive landscape inside Brazilian spectacles market remained very fragmented in 2012, with broad ranges of brands and manufacturers. This applied particularly to sales of reading glasses, spectacle frames and sunglasses, that key manufacturers included Luxottica, Grupo Tecnol, General Optical and Master Glasses. Inside spectacle lenses subsector, leading manufacturers included Essilor and Carl Zeiss. Competition in the smaller market in contact lenses (when the manufacturers Johnson & Johnson, Novartis and Bausch & Lomb all held leading shares) was more limited.
Leisure and personal goods retailers still take into account most of sales
Sales of eyewear products in Brazil are highly concentrated, which largely reflects the government’s regulating the sale of spectacles and contact lenses. The most crucial retail channels in 2011 were health and beauty retailers, which are the reason for nearly all sales. This channel is extremely fragmented because great most these stores are small, independent retailers. Other channels – particularly Internet retailers – have begun to get share, however, from health retailers above the review period.
Moderate sales growth expected for eyewear products during forecast period
The macroeconomic environment in Brazil is expected to boost in 2012, because the country experiences rising GDP growth. Rising employment and income levels in 2012, and later inside the forecast period, are required undertake a positive affect sales of eyewear products in Brazil, but sales growth is anticipated being more moderate over the remainder on the forecast period. Key drivers of growth will be the increased utilization of the Brazilian middle class plus a decrease in the average replacement period. Sales of spectacles need to find out faster growth as opposed to runners of contact lenses.
Key players in Brazil Optical Eyewear Market
Essilor do Brasil Ltda
Grupo Tecnol SA – Eyewear
Solótica Lentes de Contato Ltda
Contact Lenses in Brazil
• Compared with spectacles, sales of contact lenses in Brazil are very limited and mainly concentrated one of many higher-income classes. Contact lenses remain too expensive for some Brazilians, in support of 1.2% from the populations (approximately 2.4 million people) are thought to use contact lenses regularly.
• Industry in contact lenses is tremendously concentrated among some manufacturers, which the leaders would be the multinational companies Johnson & Johnson, Ciba Vision (Novartis) and Bausch & Lomb. Other important manufacturers include CooperVision and also the domestic manufacturers Optolenses and Solótica.
• Sales of contact lenses are required to see increased growth on the forecast period. Sales of contact lenses in Brazil are hoped for to raise because the economy recovers in 2012, as well as the growth rate in sales are going to be slightly lower above the remainder in the forecast period.
Spectacles in Brazil-Optical Eyewear Market Overview
• The spectacles sector in Brazil experienced strong rise in sales for the majority of with the review period, despite a pokey-down in 2011 on account of the world squeeze. Estimates published the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) indicated how the optical sector saw the 2nd-highest growth among all sectors in Brazil in 2008.
• The competitive landscape inside spectacles sector is rather fragmented, that has a wide range of brands and manufacturers specific to the market. There's a good mix between domestic and international manufacturers from the reading glasses, spectacle frames and sunglasses subsectors, but sales of spectacle lenses are dominated by the international manufacturers.
• Sales of spectacles are expected to see increased growth in the forecast period, regardless of the recent slow-down in accordance with the review period. The real key drivers on this growth will be the continued increase in purchasing power among Brazilians, who are likely to prioritize purchases of spectacles over that regarding other products.